Alcohol addiction is a serious illness that suppresses willpower and disturbs the human psyche. Therefore, drunkards should be treated as sick and nothing else. It must be remembered that it will not work to stop the alcoholic with scandals, persuasions and temper tantrums. This can only be done at the cost of great effort and self-control. When taking action, the wife should be ready for a tough fight, because getting the husband to stop drinking is not easy
With regard to female alcoholism, the situation is even worse. Husbands, children, parents of alcoholics must understand that it is much more difficult to persuade a woman than a man. As a rule, the addict categorically denies having a problem, considers himself perfectly healthy and does not want to change anything. The treatment seems unnecessary to her, and she considers all the persuasion and advice of parents to be a personal insult.
Important! This article will explain how to get a person to stop drinking without going to court or a mental hospital. If a drunkard shows signs of mental disorder or poses a threat to others, it is necessary to seek outside help as soon as possible.
How to talk to an alcoholic
It is very difficult to force an alcoholic to turn to specialists, ordinary conversations or requests for ultimatum cannot cope here. You have to choose a certain mode of conversation, gain stamina and patience. For this, narcologists-psychotherapists recommend respecting certain recommendations.
Wait for the "X" hour. It is useless to talk about treatment with a drunken person, because in such a state he is very satisfied with his life and does not see real problems. In the morning after drinking, you should also not start a similar conversation, because in a hangover state the alcoholic will agree with all the arguments and promise everything you want to hear from him.
The tone of the conversation is also important. The main thing is to refuse accusations and reproaches, which will only make the situation worse and subconsciously turn the patient against you. Do not raise your voice, it is better to speak calmly, since alcohol seriously disrupts the structures of the nervous system, so the conversation can easily turn into another scandal or, even worse, physical violence by a drinker.
How to influence an alcoholic
Convincing a drunkard that alcoholism is a problem not only for him, but also for the environment is not easy. To do this, the loved ones of the drunkard will need to show patience, endurance and also find an approach to find a way to treat a loved one for alcoholism.
It is impossible to persuade a euphoric and satisfied alcoholic with such a lifestyle to stop drinking quickly. It is inappropriate to conduct an educational conversation during a hangover syndrome. In such a state, the patient will not pay attention to persuasion, although he will make various promises in order to end the conversation as soon as possible and take a dose of alcohol.
It is best to start a conversation when a drunkard is faced with the negative consequences of “intoxicating” drinks. It could be:
- impregnated salary;
- car destroyed;
- family problems.
You cannot succeed with accusations and reproaches. So putting a drinker on the path to correction will not work, even if you really want to. To make the drunkard pay attention to persuasion, here are some tips:
- you have to talk calmly with an alcoholic, without raising your tone. It is undesirable to scream, because such actions on the part of loved ones can cause an unpleasant reaction in the drunkard. This is explained by the fact that alcoholics have an unstable nervous system, and this is strewn with scandals or blows;
- When talking with an addict it is necessary to behave confidently and adamantly that you are right. This will allow the opponent to understand the gravity of the situation and the firmness of the interlocutor's opinion;
- There is no need to cry and press mercy for a life that didn't work out because of an alcoholic's fault. These actions will not bring positive results either;
- no need to pressure the patient with empty threats. If you promise to do something if the drunkenness continues, you absolutely must fulfill the ultimatum.
If one of the spouses drinks?
The tense situation in the family due to the alcohol abuse of one of the spouses does not justify his forced release from addiction.
This is prohibited by law and can cause serious damage to the health of an alcoholic, especially if, without his consent and in prior consultation with a doctor, add toxic disulfiram drugs to thefood.
Wives or mothers of drunkards should not repeat the most common faux pas of women:
- First of all, you must realize that a drunkard cannot be trusted. His 100th promise to part with alcohol is a myth.
- It is impossible to threaten in an empty way, if your words are not supported by the action, you better just not say them. They convince the alcoholic of impunity.
- It is unacceptable to offend a spouse, you have to be able to awaken in him a feeling of guilt in his next unreasonable turn (waste of money, late return home).
- Instead of unfeasible threats, you can raise fears of imminent death in a drunkard, pointing out the symptoms of his health, characteristic of the possible development of cirrhosis or cancer.
- We must stop protecting the drunkard from the censorship of others, which will undoubtedly cause shame and a feeling of remorse.
- It is necessary to restrict the drinker's access to family money, without giving a penny for alcohol.
- Find out the very reason for drunkenness, especially when it comes to a woman. Without removing the addiction trigger, you can't get rid of it.
Motivation for a sober lifestyle
The hope of saving the family can convince an alcoholic to stop drinking.
To motivate an alcoholic to fight the green snake, it is necessary to transmit to him all the benefits of a sober life, what benefits await him after having stopped drinking. There are different motivations.
You can focus on the welfare of the family, as alcohol abuse almost always leads to the destruction of the family. The hope of saving the family may convince the alcoholic to stop drinking. Until the addiction to alcohol has reached a neglected degree, it is necessary to try to convey to the patient the need for treatment.
You can try to talk about the health of the drinker. Explain to him that you are seriously concerned that you have noticed how bad his health has become. Without reproach and swearing, it is necessary to explain that problems with the stomach and blood pressure, heart problems - all this is the result of the abuse of alcoholic beverages.
If a person previously aspired to work and loved him, you can try to put pressure on this factor. Drinkers always have work problems, from simple dismissal to dismissal under the “alcoholic” section. If this happens, it is almost impossible for a person to find a normal job. Gently recall what your spouse dreamed of when he was not drinking, how he planned his career.
If there is no motivation, it is almost impossible to treat an alcoholic. A dependent person needs to understand why they have to separate from the addiction and what privileges this gives them. He should consciously want to quit for something important, and not do it at the discretion of the family.
When talking to an alcoholic husband, you should try to make it appear that you are concerned about his deteriorating health. It is important to calmly explain that during the period of intoxication the alcoholic showed negative changes in appearance:
- cyanosis of the face,
- beer belly;
Alcoholics are also told about changes in character and behavior. You can compare the state of health of a drunkard at the time of a healthy lifestyle with the current state. Try with the patient to assess the changes that have occurred and to convince them of the value of treating the disease.
Alcoholism is a destructive instrument in family relationships, which often leads to divorce. Until a drunkard or alcoholic has acquired an advanced stage of pathology, there is a chance to save the family. It is necessary to try to convince the drinker of the need for treatment if the drunkard stops performing essential tasks:
- passive in relation to the spouse;
- is not interested in children;
- does not care about the material well-being of the family;
- is aggressive.
Try to convince the patient that he or she is dear to the family. The main thing in this matter is calmly, blamelessly, to convey the idea of the need for treatment.
Finding a new job in such a situation is not easy. Even if this is successful, the work will be poorly paid and low skilled. To help a drinking person in this case, it is necessary to convince him to change his lifestyle, to give reasons for how much his life has worsened since the onset of alcohol abuse. Without motivation, a drunkard cannot be easily persuaded to seek treatment. It is important that the drinker understands that this is exactly what they need.
Can a person stop drinking on their own?
We want to warn you that self-treatment of alcoholics is rarely effective. Sometimes, with the help of character and will, this is possible if the addiction to alcohol has not reached the physical stage. The basis for giving up an addiction is the desire to save a family, to obtain a job, a status in society and another goal, the achievement of which will be a reward for the efforts made. To help you, it is worth starting to practice good nutrition, jogging and weekly bathing procedures.
To combat alcoholism, traditional methods of treatment and drugs are widely used. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. They are often performed when it is impossible to convince a drinking man, husband or son of the harmfulness of the habit. There are pharmacological and traditional drugs that cause extreme aversion to alcohol. They are harmless, do not cause addiction or rejection of the body. They contain substances that are totally incompatible with alcohol. They are added to the drink or food of the drinker.
After drinking alcoholic beverages, they cause an unpleasant reaction of the body: vomiting, nausea, dizziness, etc. The most common folk remedies are:
- thyme broth; Ram broth
- Decoction of St. John's Wort.
An interesting method of covert persuasion to stop drinking existed in ancient times - the dung mushroom. The fungus contains a substance that stops the conversion of ethyl alcohol to acetaldehyde. If you eat a mushroom and then drink alcohol, a person will have symptoms of severe poisoning. Our grandmothers imperceptibly weaned their husbands from alcohol. But in modern realities, it is better not to use such a method, especially since medicine has made great progress.
How to cure an alcoholic - the right motivation
In order to convince an alcoholic to be treated, communication tactics must be developed:
- stop feeling sorry and covering up the drinker. The alcoholic should not be expected to stop drinking. This nanny approach, which solves the problems for him, is beneficial for the alcoholic, therefore, he will not stop drinking, but he will get rid of the daily worries;
- you can't constantly get in trouble with a drunkard, so as not to push him into a happy lifestyle. It should be understood that the hysteria and unnecessary discussions about alcohol consumption will make the problem worse, because after the next scandal the drunkard will fight even more for the bottle;
- keep calm and serenity in your dealings with a dependent person. In moments of enlightenment, the alcoholic talks about healing from a bad habit and re-education. It is permissible to call a narcologist at home;
- you should support the drinker's desire for sobriety, demonstrate the delights of healing, try to find hobbies, new goals in life for him.
There are only a few exceptions in this order:
- the patient is dangerous for himself and for others;
- the alcoholic has lost the ability to take care of himself;
- the mental state of the drunkard is severe, without medical intervention he will die.
Many people are interested in the question of whether it is really possible to save a loved one from addiction. After compulsory hospitalization of the patient, measures are taken to block a fever attack, after which the patient is discharged from the hospital and sent home. Practice shows that the patient, even after the serious consequences of drinking alcohol, will resume the old one.
It should be noted that it is impossible to secretly cure an alcoholic who is sick with him. Often, relatives of the patient resort to the help of healers, mediums and other non-traditional methods. All means and actions of recovering an alcoholic without his consent are not only unnecessary, but also deadly.
In addition, the doctor will perform an examination. Developing a comprehensive patient healing strategy will allow you to move deliberately towards the goal. It will not be possible to cure a drunkard in a single session or with medical manipulation. In this case, it is first necessary to establish the reason which caused the surge of alcohol abuse.
How do you have to behave properly with an alcoholic in order for him to accept therapy?
If a person denies his addiction to the "green snake", he must be convinced otherwise. How do you persuade an alcoholic to seek treatment so that he clearly understands the existing problem? To do this, you need to talk to him seriously, and the conversation should be conducted with a sober person. What you should pay attention to:
- People who drink often have memory problems. It is worth remembering the unpleasant incidents in life that he forgot.
- The urge to take a sip in an alcoholic happens quite often and for no reason. It should be explained to him that for ordinary people, problems at work or at home will not cause frenzy.
- It is worth discovering what sensations an alcoholic has on a sober head. Frustration and emptiness are some of the characteristics of addiction. He must be clearly aware of this.
- Alcoholics lose control and often don't know the norm. For this reason, a person regularly goes into a frenzy.
The conversation must take place once. It is advisable to do this when the alcoholic is in the mood for a conversation. For example, the day before he screwed up something and was guilty. Every argument should be presented with great confidence. You cannot speak with a high voice, press for pity, resort to threats.
The alcoholic often behaves inappropriately during times of intoxication. In this case, such cases are completely forgotten and "thrown" from memory. In order for him to see himself from the side at these times, you can film video evidence. The drinker will not like what he has seen, he must draw conclusions and accept the treatment.
How to behave to grant a drunk the treatment:
- does not issue threats that you cannot respond to;
- indicates how badly your loved one behaves when drunk;
- still demonstrates confidence in their ability to stop drinking;
- let a loved one understand that the disease is to blame for everything that can and should be fought;
- does not address the alcoholic's drinking problem.
Tell us how hard it is to see a drunk person, how obnoxious it is to listen to strangers tell about the antics of an alcoholic. He must realize that his loved ones are suffering from his addiction.
Any problem related to drunkenness should be corrected by the alcoholic himself. Payment of debts incurred during a frenzy, reconciliation with relatives, confrontations with the boss - all this is decided by the culprit himself.
Any good reason for stopping the addiction can be given. Family happiness is a strong argument for starting treatment.
Recently many experts have come to the conclusion that alcoholism is a disease. How to justify this claim and convince to start treatment:
- . Any illness has symptoms, including alcoholism. It results in an irresistible craving for alcohol, changes in behavior, a denial of the urge for strong drinks.
- Chemical dependence. Because of it, a person begins to abuse alcohol. Everyone has problems in the family and at work, but only addicted people get drunk because of it.
- Progression of the disease. The development of alcoholism follows a predictable scenario. In the end, a person finally degrades.
- Alcoholism is a chronic disease. Therefore, a person who has not consumed alcohol for years breaks down from a glass of vodka.
- The consequence is death. If treatment is not started on time, the patient will die before the prescribed time. The cause is usually concomitant diseases: cirrhosis, heart attack, cardiomyopathy and other ailments.
Treating alcoholism takes time. You have to be patient and never give up. Some just code, which helps many addicts. The main thing is that a person understands a simple truth: he is absolutely forbidden to drink alcoholic beverages. It is an addiction that returns even after a few grams of alcohol. Therefore, for such people, sobriety should become the norm.
How to find the cause of alcoholism
Treatment for alcohol addiction will not make sense in 2 cases: if a person is happy with everything and wants to drink more, or if they have a good reason to seek solace in drinksalcoholic. If the provoking factor is removed, it will be much easier to cure an alcoholic. He may stop drinking without coding.
Often the causes of chronic drunkenness are quite obvious, so they can be identified without much difficulty. As a rule, the alcoholic himself calls them during a confidential conversation. If you cannot ask it on your own, it can be done with the help of a psychologist. The specialist will find out why a person is not satisfied with his life and give the necessary advice.
The most common causes of alcoholism:
- uninteresting, boring work or excessive free time;
- constantly drinking with friends, relatives or colleagues, gradually progressing to alcohol dependence;
- unstable personal life, quarrels in the family, recent relationship breakdown, betrayal or loss of a loved one;
- lack of work or housing, poverty, unstable life, feeling of hopelessness;
- the presence of serious chronic or fatal illnesses, the desire to relieve pain with alcohol;
- overwhelmed heredity, predisposition to alcoholism.
Methods to help bring an alcoholic back to normal life
If you have been successful in persuading an alcoholic to seek treatment, you should immediately follow the next steps in the planned plan. As soon as the patient agrees, you need to go to an appointment with a narcologist, so that the specialist will prescribe the necessary treatment in this situation. To rule out blackouts, remove all alcohol from the house and also rule out possible encounters of drunkards with former drinking companions.
It was easy on paper, so don't think you'll be able to get consent to treat your negligent alcoholic husband the first time. It is quite a difficult task that requires a lot of patience, and somehow even the cunning and ingenuity of a woman. But when the result is achieved, your life will change drastically, which will be a worthy reward for your efforts.
There are a number of clinics that can forcibly hospitalize a patient by court order. The therapy process itself is divided into several stages:
- Motivational conversation with a psychologist. In some cases, this measure helps the person become aware of the addiction and accept voluntary treatment.
- Forced hospitalization in a hospital ward.
- Detoxification procedure.
- Rehabilitation (includes drug coding, psychological support, hospitalization).
- Social adaptation. Help to a former alcoholic to find a job, to learn a new trade, psychological support.
- Work with relatives. This includes explanatory conversations, participation in support groups, personal consultations with a psychologist.
The best solution is to take the drunkard to a paid specialty clinic where mandatory treatment services are provided. The downside to this method is that keeping an alcoholic in a clinic for a long time requires a large financial investment. So a day in the hospital will be expensive. The price depends on the region and the class of the hospital.
Another way is to place the patient in a mental health clinic. This measure is considered extreme. You can only go to a psychiatric clinic by decision of the court or a psychiatric team (experts on site decide whether urgent hospitalization is necessary). In the latter case, the presence of a police brigade is mandatory - they will register the presence of a real threat to the health of the patient or those around him.
Some people believe that it is possible to forcefully treat an alcoholic at home. Various herbal decoctions are considered particularly effective - they reduce the craving for alcohol.
This is one of the recipes. Take in equal parts (10 g each) the following ingredients:
- Dried burdock and sorrel roots.
Put the herbs in an enamel bowl, pour a glass of boiling water, then heat 15 minutes in a double boiler. The resulting broth is filtered, drunk in small portions during the day. It is not recommended to prepare a drink for future use - it should always be freshly prepared. If you want to secretly cure a person from drunkenness, you can add small portions of the infusion to alcoholic drinks.
You can also buy a ready-to-use herb mix. It is famous for these properties:
- discourages the desire to drink alcohol;
- increases the protective functions of the body;
- stimulates the immune system;
- helps eliminate toxins, cleanse the liver.
This drink is particularly practical because it is brewed and drunk like regular herbal tea in unlimited quantities throughout the day.
If close people have been successful in getting an alcoholic to undergo drug treatment and psychotherapy, it is important to decide what action to take. The main task at this time is to build motivation for a healthy lifestyle. Most drug addicts see no point in being sober. Living the right way is scary because alcoholics don't know what to do next and how to enjoy life. To help such a person, close people should:
- be convinced that an alcoholic is a weak-willed egotist, a childish person. Responding to the drunkard's desires just to keep him from drinking again is not the right way. It is necessary to allow the patient to make decisions for himself, then he can benefit from such action;
- supporting the positive aspects of a sober life, persuading the patient to write them down for daily motivational support;
- save the patient from the usual social circle, for which it is better to move to a new place of residence;
- Keep the ex-alcoholic interested in a new hobby, don't give him free time to think about a boring existence. To do this, change jobs, take it with a hobby, sport.
Be consistent in your own campaigns and views.
- Show examples of important people in the alcoholic society who have given up this addiction.
- Go together for a consultation with a psychotherapist and a narcologist.
- Adjust your personal position in your family life from sacrificial or overly controlling to the opposite.
Remember that only a properly constructed motivation of the addict for treatment and a sober lifestyle will help persuade the patient to undergo compulsory treatment.